[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:52:46 -0700

Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> writes:

> Ok.  That's a perfectly fair rationale.  What I still don't understand
> is why people think _OpenAFS_ should strive to ship (and thus implicitly
> endorse) code that introduces such non-determinism (especially given
> that, as Andrew pointed out, under DAFS enabling fast-restart semantics
> will quite literally involve a 1-line out-of-tree, unsupported
> change)...

At the point at which it's a one-line change, though, the argument that it
makes the code harder to maintain doesn't really apply.  At that point, it
should be possible to make it a command-line flag around which we put huge
giant flashing warnings and then can leave in the tree if people really
want to use it at their site.