[OpenAFS-devel] Autoconf 2.60 requirement

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 07 May 2010 09:50:23 -0400

"Rod Widdowson" <rdw@steadingsoftware.com> writes:

>> > I strongly support requiring newer versions of Autoconf rather than
> using
>> > inferior probes or reinventing the wheel, particularly when they're
>> > already nearly four years old. =C2=A0Autoconf is improving significant=
ly in
>> > ways that require one to maintain far less code in each package. =C2=
=A0If one
>> > absolutely must do development on a very slow-releasing platform with
>> > outdated software, Autoconf is trivial to install (assuming that M4
> isn't
>> > so ancient that it can't run Autoconf).
>>=20
>> 2.60 requires newer than just "not ancient", apparently.
>
> Not sure I buy that: RHEL/Centos5 is the most recent enterprise offering,=
 so
> it's going to be around for a _long_ time and it is currently pegged at
> 1.59.  I'd be the first to admit that I don't understand these things, but
> we probably need to make sure that people _deploying on_ enterprise
> operating systems are not disenfranchised.

RHEL6 is in beta right now.  I'd not worry about it personally because
while EL5 will still be in use for a while I certainly wouldn't want to
be sitting on it doing active development, only testing (for which I can
run regen on another system and then use the results on EL5).

-derek

--=20