[OpenAFS-devel] New 'opr' include directory

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 18:00:33 +0000

I've just updated gerrit 3139, which adds a new queue implementation for =
OpenAFS. This is designed to provide a superset of the functionality of =
the current RX queue implementation, the Unix CM queue implementation, =
and the Windows cache manager's osi_queue implementation. The eventual =
aim is to be able to merge all of these together so that we have a =
single queue implementation across the entire code base.

What I'd really like to draw people's attention to, however, is the new =
opr (OpenAFS Portable Runtime) prefix used by this package. =
Historically, we've used osi_ for our portability layer stuff, but this =
is horribly overused in the codebase. In the Unix CM, OSI refers to the =
layer that integrates the cache manager with the kernel, in the Windows =
CM, it's a different abstraction layer, and we've also got libosi =
floating around as well.

So, it seemed to make sense to start afresh. The intention of the opr_ =
layer is that it contains utilities which are completely cross platform. =
At the moment, it is just queues, but my intention is to move the =
rx_atomics code into the opr_ layer shortly, and I suspect other things =
will follow.

Cheers,

Simon.