[OpenAFS-devel] Building binary rpms for 1.5.77

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:57:03 -0400

--20cf302efc7e2103b604920a9f57

Where does this .version file belong, and what should the contents be?

I thought that if I just went ahead and ran makesrpm.pl, it would be
obvious, but it's not.  After installing all the prerequisite rpms, I get
the following:

WARNING: No release notes provided. Using empty file
WARNING: No changelog provided. Using empty file
/bin/ls: /lib/modules/*/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or
directory
unable to determine kernel version
sh: line 0: [: =: unary operator expected
/bin/ls: /lib/modules/*/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or
directory
unable to determine kernel version

Now, this may very well be related to the missing .version, if I can find
out where that shell snippet is, but I'm not sure yet.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Andy Cobaugh <phalenor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-10-07 at 13:07, Derrick Brashear ( shadow@gmail.com ) said:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I managed to automate setting up a multi-cell environment for testing
>>> purposes, but I'm using the binary RPMs for 1.4.12 which are available on
>>> openafs.org.  There are numerous features in 1.5.* that want to use, so
>>> now
>>> I'm looking to rebuild all of this with 1.5.77, for which of course no
>>> binary rpms have been published yet.
>>> I figured that those aren't being put together entirely by hand, so I
>>> tried
>>> to find out how that are built.  This documentation:
>>> http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/HowToBuildOpenAFSFromSource/
>>> seems out of date, since it discusses cvs instead of git.  It also only
>>> discusses creating a source rpm, and I'm looking to build the same set of
>>> binary rpms that are available for 1.4.12.
>>> Can anyone give me some more pointers on how the 1.4.12 rpms were put
>>> together?
>>>

>> there's a makesrpm perl file we ship in src/packaging/RedHat. it takes
>> a few arguments, which include the src and doc tarballs for the
>> version you want, and will spit out an srpm. you then
>> rpmbuild -ba it. not much fuss.
>>

> Should be noted that the current src tarball for 1.5.77 is missing the
> .version file. Should be obvious after looking at makesrpm.pl how this is
> used. We just extracted the src tarball, created the missing .version file,
> then tar'd it back up.
>
> On a related note: Will there be RPMs provided for 1.5.78 when it's
> released? Many of us that are wanting to help test 1.5 and get experience
> with it don't always have the time to build RPMs ourselves. Even SRPMs would
> be helpful.
>
> --andy

--20cf302efc7e2103b604920a9f57

Where does this .version file belong, and what should the contents be?<div>=
//makesrpm.pl">makesrpm.pl</a>, it would be obvious, but it&#39;s not. =A0A=
fter installing all the prerequisite rpms, I get the following:</div>
n/ls: /lib/modules/*/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directo=
ry</div>
 operator expected</div><div>/bin/ls: /lib/modules/*/build/include/linux/ve=
rsion.h: No such file or directory</div><div>unable to determine kernel ver=
sion</div>
ion, if I can find out where that shell snippet is, but I&#39;m not sure ye=
 Cobaugh <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:phalenor@gmail.com">phalen=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">On 2010-10-07 at 13:07, D=
errick Brashear ( <a href=3D"mailto:shadow@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sha=
dow@gmail.com</a> ) said:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Phillip Moore &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:w.phill=
ip.moore@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">w.phillip.moore@gmail.com</a>&gt; wro=
te:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I managed to automate setting up a multi-cell environment for testing<br>
purposes, but I&#39;m using the binary RPMs for 1.4.12 which are available =
on<br>
are numerous features in 1.5.* that want to use, so now<br>
I&#39;m looking to rebuild all of this with 1.5.77, for which of course no<=
br>
binary rpms have been published yet.<br>
I figured that those aren&#39;t being put together entirely by hand, so I t=
ried<br>
to find out how that are built. =A0This documentation:<br>
rget=3D"_blank">http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/HowToBuildOpenAFSFromSource=
/</a><br>
seems out of date, since it discusses cvs instead of git. =A0It also only<b=
r>
discusses creating a source rpm, and I&#39;m looking to build the same set =
of<br>
binary rpms that are available for 1.4.12.<br>
Can anyone give me some more pointers on how the 1.4.12 rpms were put<br>
together?<br>
there&#39;s a makesrpm perl file we ship in src/packaging/RedHat. it takes<=
br>
a few arguments, which include the src and doc tarballs for the<br>
version you want, and will spit out an srpm. you then<br>
rpmbuild -ba it. not much fuss.<br>
Should be noted that the current src tarball for 1.5.77 is missing the .ver=
sion file. Should be obvious after looking at <a href=3D"http://makesrpm.pl=
" target=3D"_blank">makesrpm.pl</a> how this is used. We just extracted the=
 src tarball, created the missing .version file, then tar&#39;d it back up.=

On a related note: Will there be RPMs provided for 1.5.78 when it&#39;s rel=
eased? Many of us that are wanting to help test 1.5 and get experience with=
 it don&#39;t always have the time to build RPMs ourselves. Even SRPMs woul=
d be helpful.<br>

--20cf302efc7e2103b604920a9f57--