[OpenAFS-devel] Building binary rpms for 1.5.77

Andy Cobaugh phalenor@gmail.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

--168428801-1038943797-1286471735=:5442

On 2010-10-07 at 13:07, Derrick Brashear ( shadow@gmail.com ) said:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I managed to automate setting up a multi-cell environment for testing
>> purposes, but I'm using the binary RPMs for 1.4.12 which are available on
>> openafs.org.  There are numerous features in 1.5.* that want to use, so now
>> I'm looking to rebuild all of this with 1.5.77, for which of course no
>> binary rpms have been published yet.
>> I figured that those aren't being put together entirely by hand, so I tried
>> to find out how that are built.  This documentation:
>> http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/HowToBuildOpenAFSFromSource/
>> seems out of date, since it discusses cvs instead of git.  It also only
>> discusses creating a source rpm, and I'm looking to build the same set of
>> binary rpms that are available for 1.4.12.
>> Can anyone give me some more pointers on how the 1.4.12 rpms were put
>> together?
>
> there's a makesrpm perl file we ship in src/packaging/RedHat. it takes
> a few arguments, which include the src and doc tarballs for the
> version you want, and will spit out an srpm. you then
> rpmbuild -ba it. not much fuss.

Should be noted that the current src tarball for 1.5.77 is missing the
.version file. Should be obvious after looking at makesrpm.pl how this is
used. We just extracted the src tarball, created the missing .version
file, then tar'd it back up.

On a related note: Will there be RPMs provided for 1.5.78 when it's
released? Many of us that are wanting to help test 1.5 and get experience
with it don't always have the time to build RPMs ourselves. Even SRPMs
would be helpful.

--andy
--168428801-1038943797-1286471735=:5442--