[OpenAFS-devel] Re: bos killed fileserver before it was shut down cleanly.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:41:49 -0500

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:26:54 -0500
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:58:43 -0400
> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > However, for the "human admins want to see what's going on" problem,
> > perhaps an RPC interface is better.  It should be a separate Rx
> > service (though probably on the same port), and have at least one
> > dedicated thread.  And for introspection, it may want to completely
> > ignore locks and risk giving out bogus data rather than risking
> > deadlock.
>
> Well, that's the most reliable way to do this, sure. I'm just not sure
> how much work we really want to expend on this / how many cases to
> cover. Practically speaking, I think at least recently any deadlocks (or
> just "takes a long time shutting down") on shutdown would be involving
> VOL_LOCK or H_LOCK, so just avoiding those would be fine for almost all
> people.
>
> Maybe I'm just being lazy, though, and what you describe is the right
> way it should be done.

And of course this allows the data to be viewable over the network,
which I wasn't thinking about when I wrote this. That alone may make a
separate service/thread worthwhile.

(I need to think more before sending; sorry for the all the emails)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net