[OpenAFS-devel] Re: bos killed fileserver before it was shut down cleanly.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:14:48 -0400

--On Friday, October 15, 2010 03:04:41 PM -0400 Steve Simmons
<scs@umich.edu> wrote:

>> Ugh.  No, we don't need a "bos put this text in the BosConfig file"
>> command.  The BosConfig file is not intended to be edited by hand, and
>> its format is an implementation detail.  That ugliness really doesn't
>> need to be exposed to the user any more than it already is.
>
> That may have been the original intent, just as original intent was that
> folks modify the rc scripts to change the startup parameters. Neither
> assumption reflects 2010. We need config files, things need to read them,
> tools need to re-read them, nobody but the sysadmin should be rewriting
> them. If it's not to be BosConfig, that's fine by me. But until somebody
> commits developing those more general config file, BosConfig is the
> obvious place.

That philosophy still doesn't call for a "bos put this text in the
BosConfig file" command.  If you're going to edit the configuration
manually, then edit it manually.  I won't object to a patch which enables a
mode where the bosserver never writes the BosConfig file and all of the
RPC's which would do so return RXGEN_OPCODE instead.

-- Jeff