[OpenAFS-devel] Gerrit/git mistake

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:52:06 -0400

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Phillip Moore
<w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
> This doesn't look right...
> pmoore@Renegade$ git push ssh://gerrit.openafs.org/openafs.git
> HEAD:refs/for/master
> Counting objects: 16, done.
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.17 KiB, done.
> Total 7 (delta 4), reused 0 (delta 0)
> New Changes:
> =A0=A0http://gerrit.openafs.org/3003
> =A0=A0http://gerrit.openafs.org/3004
> =A0=A0http://gerrit.openafs.org/3005
> To ssh://gerrit.openafs.org/openafs.git
> =A0* [new branch] =A0 =A0 =A0HEAD -> refs/for/master
> That should have been one simple change, but before creating the topic
> branch, I think (I'm not sure -- I did this a few days ago) I just did "g=
it
> pull" to update my copy of master.
> Was that the wrong way to stay in sync? =A0Am I supposed to be using reba=
se
> instead?
> Looking at gerrit, two of those "changes" are empty, and the most recent =
one
> has the fs getfid patch I thought I was submitting.
> Can someone let me know what I did wrong, so I can avoid the same mistake=
 in
> the future?

I would guess that you had local changes in your master branch before
you did the "git pull".  Which ends up doing a merge of the new
commits from git.openafs.org into your tree instead of a fast forward
to the current head.

That's the reason I always keep my master branch clean and always work
from topic branches.

Marc