[OpenAFS-devel] Gerrit/git mistake

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:05:32 -0700

Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> writes:

> That should have been one simple change, but before creating the topic
> branch, I think (I'm not sure -- I did this a few days ago) I just did
> "git pull" to update my copy of master.

> Was that the wrong way to stay in sync?  Am I supposed to be using
> rebase instead?

Yes.  I do:

    git config --global --add alias.update 'pull --rebase --stat'

and then always use git update instead of git pull to refresh from remote
repositories.  (It takes advantage of finger memory from Subversion and
CVS.)  (You may have to omit --stat if you have an old version of Git that
doesn't support git pull --stat.)