[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Changes to the build system

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:56:16 -0400

In message <20101027155846.f7dc9cdc.adeason@sinenomine.net>,Andrew Deason writes:
>I thought one of the reasons for the current system was that CC &c are
>forced to certain values because we need to force CC in at least certain
>points for building kernel foo. How does this new system cope?

i am sort of against building some stuff with one compiler and some stuff
with another compiler.  yeah, i can understand that there might be reasons
to do this (i.e. you have a special compiler that is only useful to build
the kernel).  but in the current (pre this change from simon) sources,
configure detects the presence of gcc on my solaris box and decides
that it should use gcc specific options with my sun compiler.  so please
pick a compiler and stick with it.  if you choose gcc for your compiler
and it cannot build the kernel module, then you dont build the kernel.
telling the user why of course.