[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Changes to the build system

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:59:11 +0100

On 27 Oct 2010, at 21:58, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:08:34 +0100
> Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>=20
>> Comments? Brickbats?
>=20
> I thought one of the reasons for the current system was that CC &c are
> forced to certain values because we need to force CC in at least =
certain
> points for building kernel foo. How does this new system cope?

The logic behind picking CC hasn't been changed (yet).=20

On some platforms (Linux, Darwin) we let the user and ./configure pick =
which C compiler to use, and don't attempt to second guess them. We're =
already using this for things like running the code base through the =
Clang static analyser.

On other platforms (Solaris, IRIX, AIX, HPUX) we override configure's =
choice because "we know best". In theory we should also be overriding =
the flags we pass so that they match the compiler choice, but it's =
entirely possible we get this wrong.

Cheers,

Simon.