[OpenAFS-devel] Re: how to use cacheout

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:40:05 -0500

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:05:07 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> I tried to use src/venus/cacheout.c from the current master, but it
> segfaulted. The -help option is next to useless.

Platform, usage, backtrace? It doesn't segfault for me right now, but
I've only run it around two or three times.

> I read that this is a tool to force a fileserver to refresh IP ACL's.
>
> If so, how do I use this tool?

The usage that was the motivation for getting it to build was to refresh
the IP ACLs on all known fileservers in the local cell (according to the
vldb) for particular host IPs. Give it

$ cacheout -ip 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.5 1.2.3.6

to invalidate the host CPS cache for (client) hosts 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5,
and 1.2.3.6.

You can also give it an -id parameter, which specifies vice IDs if I
recall correctly. It will cause the host CPS to be recalculated for
users that are accessing under that vice id. I'm not sure how well that
usage actually works (or if that's what it's actually intended to do)
since as far as I can tell the fileserver only invalidates the cps for
the first client structure it finds for each vice id. But I only glanced
at it, so I may be misreading something.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net