[OpenAFS-devel] Re: on sockets and devices in AFS

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:53:17 -0400

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 07:53:59 -0400
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:58:22 +0200
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
>

> > 2) if created locally they would cover a later file of the same name
> > if one is created
>
> how about a new 'file type' that is 'special' just like mounts.
> however, they would only have a local (to the client host)
> meaning.  old clients would see 'files' (with a strange prefix i
> guess) and new clients would be able to handle these things as special
> devices (named pipes and the like).

Old clients could write stuff to that file, though, which is also thus
hidden from new clients. Unless you add knowledge about the special
prefix or whatever to the fileserver, prohibiting such.

We can't create an actual new file type? (as in, an
AFSFetchStatus.FileType type)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net