[OpenAFS-devel] Re: on sockets and devices in AFS

omalleys@msu.edu omalleys@msu.edu
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:52:44 -0400

Quoting Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>:
> In the meantime, no client today is capable of using these future object
> types and as a result I believe that the proper behavior for today's
> clients is to maintain the object locally and mask it from the file
> server.  That way it becomes possible for future local pipes to be
> created within the file system directory without breaking today's
> clients that will not know what to do with them.

Can we get this planned out well enough to simply add the ability of
current clients to be aware enough to ignore these new special file
types? When the work is done for the full implementation, we won't
have the backwards compatibility nightmares?

I think it is also needed to add the ability both server and client
side to block these abilities on a per user, per client basis. The
administrator of the client machine has to have the ability to stomp
some of these files in case they are causing issues to the particular
system on which the client is running and they might not be
administrator of AFS and the administrator of AFS might not want to
allow this functionality at all.

Sean