[OpenAFS-devel] Re: on sockets and devices in AFS

Rune u-openafsdev-t07O@aetey.se
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:02:34 +0200

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:23:35AM +0200, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> > "persistent-state-with-lock-free-asynchronous-updates"-library would
> > be written and used by the applications, implementing transaction-like
> > updates with automated merges - taking into account the semantics of
> > the data to be merged. Alas, such a library does not yet exist (or at
> > least apparently is not being used :)
>
> I wrote one in perl (4!) many years ago. no one seemed overly interested in the concept. There is room in OpenAFS several places for this sort of 'decision engine'

The application writers most probably assume that "usable by 90% of the
audience is enough" and quite probably it is still the majority of the
users who have local home directories... :-/

The above builds up a regretful hinder for deployment of global ones :(

I would like to look at your code (if it is OSS).

Regards,
Rune