[OpenAFS-devel] Removing the rx_stats export from RX

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:46:29 +0100

On 28 Sep 2010, at 22:40, Tom Keiser wrote:
> Any particular reason to use atomics as opposed to, say, thread-local
> stats that are aggregated (non-coherently, e.g. using just atomic
> reads with, perhaps, a store-to-read fence prior to the atomic reads)
> on demand, a la rxkad_stats?=20

None at all, other than implementation simplicity. We need atomics for =
other counters that can't be thread local and, once we've got them, we =
can get get a fairly good performance improvement by switching =
statistics to using them. The idea of using thread local stats has =
already been kicked around, and it does seem to be a good direction to =
go in.

This interface would facilitate any of these changes though, because it =
hides the internal statistics structure from the caller, as well as =
providing a point through which the kind of aggregation you suggest =
could be performed.

Cheers,

Simon.