[OpenAFS-devel] Building OpenAFS for Windows with Heimdal Compatibility

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:26:29 +0100

On 29 Sep 2010, at 17:25, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>=20
>   1. Should it be imported into the OpenAFS repository from github as
>      an external?
>   2. Should it be required that developers download it and install it
>      themselves?

Personally, I have a preference against importing binary build products =
into a source repository. This is partly out of neatness concerns, and =
partly because of the overhead it places when fetching the repository. =
If the products are large, or regularly updated, this can be a =
particular problem with git as it can cause the repository to bloat =
spectacularly.

Deleting KfW won't help with repository size concerns, because the =
existing imports will always be there. Adding this library as an =
external import will add 2.6M to the git repository, and will add at =
least 1.3M with each update.

I'd much rather that we provide a website to host build requirements, =
and (possibly) a script to populate the tree with any dependencies =
before the build commences. I'd don't believe that this is overly =
arduous for those who build from source - people building on Unix have =
been doing this for years now (we don't ship MIT Kerberos with the Unix =
build, for example).

Cheers,

Simon.