[OpenAFS-devel] Building OpenAFS for Windows with Heimdal Compatibility

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:38:04 -0400

On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> The last release of Kerberos from MIT for Windows was issued nearly
> three years ago.  In an e-mail to krbdev@mit.edu on 11 August 2010,
> Stephen Buckley (MIT Kerberos Consortium) stated publicly for the =
first
> time what has been suspected for many years: Kerberos for Windows is =
not
> a priority for the Consortium and future development should not be
> expected any time soon. . .=20

> . . . I do not want to see the build scripts require
> git on the build machine to download the package at build time as that
> will fail for some large institutional users that build from source.
>=20
> What do you think?

I think your last sentence is a clue. :-)

Caveat: I have no actual insight into the MIT kerberos consortium, but =
I've watch MS do business and seen how hard they're pushing Active =
Directory and integration between AD and Kerberos. Based on that:

IMHO the long-term source of kerberos authentication for windows will =
come more and more from Active Directory and ever-closer integration and =
trust between AD and Kerberos realms. That's the solution Microsoft =
would prefer. Since they're a member of the kerberos consortium they =
probably swing some weight on the topic.

So not only is MIT kfw effectively orphaned, it's deliberately slated =
for death by neglect. Nor do I see enough demand for it that it would =
ever be adopted by anyone with enough resources to make it generally =
useful in the open source world.

> As part of the conversion to support Heimdal the KFW SDK can be =
removed
> from the OpenAFS repository.  The question that remains is how should
> Windows developers obtain the Heimdal Compatibility SDK?
>=20
>   1. Should it be imported into the OpenAFS repository from github as
>      an external?
>   2. Should it be required that developers download it and install it
>      themselves?

Assuming I understand you correctly, you're proposing to remove kfw from =
the oAFS distribution, and if this is done, then you'd like opinions on =
where folks should get the Heimdal compatibility sdk.

My answer is somewhat dependent on just what we'd like to see happen =
when someone *does* need kfw from this point forward. If we're going to =
make it a separate git repository at oafs.org, then I'd say make the =
Heimdal shims a separately downloadable repository as well. Conversely, =
if we direct folks who need kfw to the MIT distribution, it seems both =
reasonable and consistent to direct those needing the Heimdal shims to =
the github.org repository.

I strongly suspect the size of the community that would need the Heimdal =
shims is small and will shrink over time. Conversely, those sites which =
are actively downloading and running Heimdal on windows have de-facto =
demonstrated a great deal of savvy on finding and installing software =
they need. As long as we clearly document where they can get the Heimdal =
shims for oAFS on Windows, having it be a separate load from a separate =
site makes sense to me.

I therefore would vote to remove KFW from the oAFS repository, and put =
directions to both KFW and the Heimdal shims in the distribution notes.

Removing kfw from the standard oAFS git repository also helps reduce the =
number of things that are 'part of' oAFS and which users might expect us =
to be supporting. IMHO that's a win. In addition, I think it would =
result in user complaints about kfw going directly to the Consortium. =
That's likely to carry more weight than our second-hand repetition of =
those complaints.

As an aside, note that if we completely remove the kfw distribution from =
the openafs.org git repository, there's nothing to say we can't revisit =
that. Should future versions of oAFS require a kfw that we've fixed and =
if the MIT consortium is unwilling to release those fixes, we should =
either add a fixed kfw as a separate git item in openafs.org or include =
a patch set that folks could then apply to MIT kfw. I'm not sure which =
of those two is preferable, but we can burn that bridge when we come to =
it. Similar comments apply to a future in which the Heimdal shims become =
moribund.

Steve=