[OpenAFS-devel] Building OpenAFS for Windows with Heimdal Compatibility

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:58:24 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> On 9/30/2010 4:37 AM, Harald Barth wrote:
>>
>>> ... I think separate products
>>> should remain separate whenever possible...
>>
>> I have that opinion, too.
>>
>> If the build system does not support specifying an external
>> dependency, fix the build system. If you can not fix the build system,
>> it has to be done manually by the person who builds from source. We
>> can hint on the web page where to get that external dependency. If
>> they can't build anyway, they probably should not, so let them take
>> the binary (you plan to supply a binary, don't you?).
>
> Building the Windows packages is insanely difficult. =A0Unlike UNIX/Linux
> we have to support a half-dozen compilers and matching run time
> libraries, operating system version specific development kits, device
> driver kits, help compilers, and internationalization libraries; all of
> those being from Microsoft and many of which require paid licenses.

Actually, we support many gcc and vendor compilers, many versions of
especially glibc, etc, but yes, the story is harder for Windows.

--=20
Derrick