[OpenAFS-devel] on sockets and devices in AFS

Erik Dalén erik.dalen@mensa.se
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:43:15 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:58, Derrick Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
> Long has it been the case that people have wanted the ability to create s=
pecial devices and sockets in AFS, yet due to the non-portability of these we haven't been able to do it.

> Can I suggest we consider
> 1) allowing these to be created but not sent to the server
> 2) if created locally they would cover a later file of the same name if o=
ne is created
> 3) when disconnected AFS persists data across reboots, it be used to pers=
ist this data on the local client.
> 4) until then, and even then for memcache, a config file which is updated=
 as these are created and removed, and reread at AFS start to recreate state.

IMHO this would be a very nice workaround for apps such as Google
Chrome that like to create sockets in the home directory and don't
work properly when running AFS home directories.

And for stuff like that it would be best if they are local to the client.

--
Erik Dalén