[OpenAFS-devel] Linux client 2.6.38 and above hangs

Markus Suvanto markus.suvanto@gmail.com
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:19:36 +0300

Openafs client (openafs-stable-1_4_x, openafs-stable-1_6_x  and master branch)
hangs if linux kernel is 2.6.38 or newer. The openafs kernel module
compiles and client stars OK but computer totally hangs if I try to compile
linux kernel under /afs/path/to/kernel-2.6

Way to reproduce...
1) Compile latest kernel and openafs kernel module
2) Start openafs afs (For example I use: afsd  -memcache -dynroot
-confdir /etc/openafs -fakestat)
3) cd /afs/path/to/
4) git clone /usr/src/linux-2.6
5) cd /afs/path/to/kernel-2.6
6) make -j3

Sometimes "make -j1" takes longer time until it hang.
I can reproduce this using kvm virtual machine or
using real machine. There are no dmesg, log messages or nothing.
Under kvm cpu load of qemu-system-x86 process goes 100% and kvm
guest is totally dead. The latest kernel what I have test is
2.6.39-rc4-00089-g2f666bc
using openafs c721bff5035b6e2d87e10be0f4711133b33dc5dc

-Markus