[OpenAFS-devel] Improving GSoC - Ideas from the R project

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:50:28 -0400

Hi everyone,

I came across a summary of GSoC for the R project. I thought the the
idea of having two mentors per student had value. I know that we didn't
participate in GSoC 2011 for lack of mentors. Perhaps having two mentors
per student could ease the burden on each individual mentor.

>From
http://csgillespie.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/development-of-r-user-2011/ :
<...snip...>
         Aims: introduce students to the R developer community and push
forward their project. roxygen and cran2deb were
              previous GSoC projects.
         Communication channels: email, IM, skype, personal meetings.

         Experiences:

             Two mentors per student.  The two admins ping projects
every now and again;
             Time lines are based on US summer holidays;
             Vanishing mentor and student.

         Advice for Mentors:

             Start to look early (January) for students. Look for a
co-mentor;
             Plan the time carefully;
             Remember that coding time is also holiday time and students
range from 1st year to PhD students.

Sincerely,
Jason