[OpenAFS-devel] What data from production environments could help OpenAFS development?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:17:26 -0400

Hi everyone,

I was wondering. What data from production environments would be helpful
for the OpenAFS developers? Would it help us to set priorities? Would it
help us pinpoint performance bottlenecks? Could the data be gathered
without a significant performance penalty?

For example, I have been collecting sar (man sar) data on my Linux
fileservers every minute since January of 2011. I've also started
collecting process accounting data (man 5 acct) in August of 2011. I
plan to keep the sar data for a year or two and the process accounting
for at least a few months.

I also have sar and process accounting data from Linux workstations and
timesharing servers, but that data would require more sanitizing before
being shared.

Is this data of interest to anyone besides myself? Are any other sites
interested in this data?

Would AFS sites or developers benefit from sharing AFS performance data?

Thanks,
Jason