[OpenAFS-devel] What data from production environments could help OpenAFS development?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:52:21 -0400

On 08/22/2011 10:22 AM, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:
> In message<4E512186.7020506@rampaginggeek.com>,Jason Edgecombe writes:
>> I was wondering. What data from production environments would be helpful
>> for the OpenAFS developers? Would it help us to set priorities? Would it
>> help us pinpoint performance bottlenecks? Could the data be gathered
>> without a significant performance penalty?
> i think the primary problem here might be that there isnt an 'afs server'
> benchmark that you can run.  you can bench the drives, network or the
> cpu individually but there isnt anything (that i know of) to quantify an
> entire configuration.  collecting sar is nice, but some systems dont have
> the same capabilities so you might want something that is cross platform
> (just like afs).
>
> talking to the fileservers though would be the best choice.  i gave
> using afsio some thought but i havent looked into it closely enough to
> see how much of the client cache is in use (which you would want to test
> seperately i imagine).

I thought afsio avoided the client cache. Is there another option to use?

I vaguely recall some idea of recoding client/fileserver operations ans
replaying them to the fileserver. Did anything come of that?

Jason