[OpenAFS-devel] Re: What data from production environments could help OpenAFS development?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:54:31 -0400

On 08/22/2011 11:42 AM, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Data from callback state dump and audit log would be of value to me.  We would like to develop empirical information about callback breaks, callback re-registration, and related.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Andrew Deason"<adeason@sinenomine.net>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:17:26 -0400
>> Jason Edgecombe<jason@rampaginggeek.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering. What data from production environments would be
>> helpful
>>> for the OpenAFS developers?
>> I'm pretty sure at least Tom would be interested in the xstat data
>> (xstat_cm_test, xstat_fs_test). You can run them pretty often with
>> almost no impact (as in, on the order of once every few seconds), and
>> the xstat data will actually show how little impact the calls make.
>>
>> Just storing the output of the commands is pretty inefficient, though.
>> believe Tom was going to release some tooling soon for (among other
>> things) recording and storing that data over time.
ok, does anyone have scripts or tips on how to efficiently collect and
store this and other data that everyone wants?

I'm not even sure how to collect some of this info.

Jason