[OpenAFS-devel] Re: idle dead timeout processing in clients

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:41:18 -0800

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> The current behavior is deliberate, and so is easy to change. The client
> currently waits for a VRESTARTING error to clear up; it's a simple
> matter of adding a client option to instead make it error out
> immediately, if that's what you want. That makes server restarts very
> visible to processes, though.

In the absence of demand-attach, I don't see how a server restart could
ever not be visible to processes.  It takes over a half-hour.  (Although I
suppose this varies based on how many volumes you have per server and the
like.)