[OpenAFS-devel] Re: idle dead timeout processing in clients

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 08 Dec 2011 17:30:05 -0800

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> And, well, "visible" in a different sense. If it takes 20 minutes for a
> read() to return, it's not visible in the sense that the application
> needs a code path to deal with it; AFS isn't "down" but arguably just
> "slow". If it takes 5 seconds for read() to return, but it returns -1
> with ETIMEDOUT, for some environments that's worse / more visible. I've
> had someone seem completely baffled when they were told that not
> everyone runs AFS with hardmount turned on; that not only is that
> behavior optional, but defaults to 'off'.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on the application.  If your two-week compute
job stalls for a half-hour, you might not notice.

We mostly use AFS for serving web pages, and if it takes more than twenty
seconds, you may as well just give up and return an error message, since
you're already past the point of recovery anyway.