[OpenAFS-devel] Re: IPv6 support

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:55:25 -0500

--On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 09:14:55 AM -0600 Andrew Deason
<adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:59:23 -0500
> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> On SPARC, there is virtually no advantage to building 64-bit versions
>> of most binaries,
>
> Virtual memory space?

_Most_ binaries don't need more than 2GB of virtual address space.
The fileserver would likely benefit, on machines with enough RAM to make
this worthwhile.  Most of our programs certainly would not.

I'd suggest building a 64-bit fileserver and 64-bit versions of most of the
libraries we export (in addition to the 32-bit versions, of course).  But
that's about it.

Of course, that needs to be selectable, but I think it's a fine default.
There are very few SPARC Solaris machines that are likely to run current
OpenAFS but are not 64-bit capable.  I'm not sure current Solaris still
even supports anything that old.

Naturally, for other platforms the tradeoff may work out differently.