[OpenAFS-devel] Re: IPv6 support

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:15:25 -0500

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 09:14:55 AM -0600 Andrew Deason
> <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:59:23 -0500
>> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> On SPARC, there is virtually no advantage to building 64-bit versions
>>> of most binaries,
>>
>> Virtual memory space?
>
> _Most_ binaries don't need more than 2GB of virtual address space.
> The fileserver would likely benefit, on machines with enough RAM to make
> this worthwhile. =A0Most of our programs certainly would not.

Hi Jeff,

The new DAFS threaded salvager additionally falls into this category
(as well as the standalone salvager when large volumes are involved,
thanks to the--potentially enormous--vnode essence vectors).
Furthermore, fssync-debug and salvsync-debug need to be 64-bit
binaries as well (thanks to us directly marshalling pointers and other
variable-width types, which is, admittedly, a design flaw for which
I'll take responsibility).  To simplify the build system (and avoid a
few fssync protocol changes), this also means volserver should be a
64-bit binary...

> I'd suggest building a 64-bit fileserver and 64-bit versions of most of t=
he
> libraries we export (in addition to the 32-bit versions, of course). =A0B=
ut
> that's about it.

I concur this would be ideal.  However, then we get into the argument
about whether our build system has any business twiddling CFLAGS.  I
suppose we could have a special configure switch to do this special
behavior for people who want an optimal build, but that is likely to
be quite contentious...

> Of course, that needs to be selectable, but I think it's a fine default.
> There are very few SPARC Solaris machines that are likely to run current
> OpenAFS but are not 64-bit capable. =A0I'm not sure current Solaris still=
 even
> supports anything that old.

32-bit (sparc) kernel support was dropped during development of
Solaris 10.  For how much longer do we want to support 8 and 9?

-Tom