[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Aliasing bugs

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:36:41 -0500

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:26:05 -0400
Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone taken a look at the large number of pointer-aliasing bugs
> in the current codebase?  GCC emits a warning for these (if you
> configure OpenAFS with --enable-warnings), and it does not appear that
> anything is compiled with -fno-strict-aliasing to disable the
> optimizations that causes these bugs to be noticeable, unless
> compiling for Linux.

Are you seeing them outside of src/ptserver or src/tests? The ptserver
ones are known and really annoying to fix, but both should indeed be
getting -fno-strict-aliasing.

Outside of there, please give some examples, because at least I'm not
aware of them. And they probably don't happen on at least Linux, since
Linux builds are done with --enable-checking fairly often; I'd think we
would have noticed.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net