[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [RFC] splitting out CRULE_TARGET from libafs/Makefile.common

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 25 Jun 2011 01:03:34 -0500

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:57:44 -0400 (EDT)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I am not particularly inclined to redefine CRULE_{NO,}OPT in
> MakefileProto.FBSD.in after including Makefile.common, because if
> these variables are changed in Makefile.common in the future, it is
> likely that the FreeBSD-specific definition will be missed at that
> time.  Instead, I have introduced a new variable, CRULE_TARGET, which
> is defined in the individual MakefileProtos, that Makefile.common uses
> as the source file for its CC invocation in CRULE_{NO,}OPT.  This
> variable can then be tweaked as appropriate for each OS, allowing me
> to use the extra features of FreeBSD's make.

Shouldn't libafs makefiles just be converted to use AFS_CCRULE ?
Everywhere else in the source tree we just specify source files as
additional arguments, and it hasn't seemed to bad to me.

That is,

foo.o: bar.c
	$(AFS_CCRULE) bar.c

But that involves changing a ton of lines; if you're talking about doing
something in the interim, sure, but afaik going towards AFS_*RULE is
supposed to be the longer term solution.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net