[OpenAFS-devel] Linux client 2.6.38 and above hangs

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sun, 1 May 2011 11:44:18 +0100

On 1 May 2011, at 10:31, Markus Suvanto <markus.suvanto@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, it hangs totally.
>=20
> while(1)
> dmesg
> sleep 0.5
> end
>=20
> And when hang happen above loop simply
> stop running and there are no kernel messages.

Lockup warnings almost certainly won't make it into dmesg (at the point it i=
s locked up the kernel is unable to schedule user processes)

Instead they will be printed solely to your console, if your consoles screen=
 is in text mode (so no X server running  on that display), and the display i=
s not blanked.

It is also possible that your kernel has soft lockup detection disabled. Mos=
t distributions enable this, but it wouldn't be the first time that an unusu=
al gentoo configuration has caught us out.

Could you try configuring your system so that it panics on soft lockup, and l=
et me know the results.

> Ps. I have send my .config but it is too big. I can
> gzip and resend or list moderator have to approve
> my message.

I should be able to grab the message from the list queue and forward it on t=
o the relevant parties.
>=20

S.=