[OpenAFS-devel] Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:39:46 -0400

In message <C47ACD56-DDD1-44EE-A914-296A687F5B72@inf.ed.ac.uk>,Simon Wilkinson writes:
>My proposal to resolve this is to disable internal shared libraries when =
>we do 'make dest' builds. To do so, we will have to change the way in =
>which these builds are selected - as the type of library to use must be =
>chosen at configure, rather than build, time. I'm planning on creating a =
>new configure option --enable-dest, which will select a 'dest' style =
>build product. 'make install' will then install into a dest style tree.

this seems like a strange idea to me.  it is a configure option that is
handled via make dest after configure has run?  how about just calling
it --{enable,disable}-{shared,static}?  just changing make dest to do
something like 'make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/dest/$SYSNAME' would be almost
(but not exactly) the same.  hopefully developers could learn to adjust.