[OpenAFS-devel] Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:20:50 -0400

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)
<chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> In message <C47ACD56-DDD1-44EE-A914-296A687F5B72@inf.ed.ac.uk>,Simon Wilk=
inson writes:
>>My proposal to resolve this is to disable internal shared libraries when =
=3D
>>we do 'make dest' builds. To do so, we will have to change the way in =3D
>>which these builds are selected - as the type of library to use must be =
=3D
>>chosen at configure, rather than build, time. I'm planning on creating a =
=3D
>>new configure option --enable-dest, which will select a 'dest' style =3D
>>build product. 'make install' will then install into a dest style tree.
>
> this seems like a strange idea to me. =A0it is a configure option that is
> handled via make dest after configure has run? =A0how about just calling
> it --{enable,disable}-{shared,static}? =A0just changing make dest to do
> something like 'make install DESTDIR=3D`pwd`/dest/$SYSNAME' would be almo=
st
> (but not exactly) the same. =A0hopefully developers could learn to adjust=
.

why? we just need our binaries staticly linked; we don't need to
disable the building of the
shared libraries.

and make install DESTDIR=3D doesn't capture the actual install locations. t=
ho,
--enable-transarc-paths is basically already the configure switch
you'd want for this

--=20
Derrick