[OpenAFS-devel] Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:31:34 -0400

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:20:50 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)
> <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> > In message <C47ACD56-DDD1-44EE-A914-296A687F5B72@inf.ed.ac.uk>,Simon Wi=
lkinson writes:
> >>My proposal to resolve this is to disable internal shared libraries whe=
n =3D
> >>we do 'make dest' builds. To do so, we will have to change the way in =
=3D
> >>which these builds are selected - as the type of library to use must be=
 =3D
> >>chosen at configure, rather than build, time. I'm planning on creating =
a =3D
> >>new configure option --enable-dest, which will select a 'dest' style =3D
> >>build product. 'make install' will then install into a dest style tree.
> >
> > this seems like a strange idea to me. =A0it is a configure option that =
is
> > handled via make dest after configure has run? =A0how about just calling
> > it --{enable,disable}-{shared,static}? =A0just changing make dest to do
> > something like 'make install DESTDIR=3D`pwd`/dest/$SYSNAME' would be al=
most
> > (but not exactly) the same. =A0hopefully developers could learn to adju=
st.
>=20
> why? we just need our binaries staticly linked; we don't need to
> disable the building of the
> shared libraries.

he said 'disable internal shared libraries' not 'build both a shared
and static version'.  i still dont see --enable-dest as being the
clearest of options.  in this case, --enable-static-binaries would be a
little less obscure. =20

>=20
> and make install DESTDIR=3D doesn't capture the actual install locations.=
 tho,
> --enable-transarc-paths is basically already the configure switch
> you'd want for this

personally get right of make dest and if someone configured with
--enable-transarc-paths they get the old 'make dest' behavior when they
do a make install.=20