[OpenAFS-devel] adding "make check" to build slaves

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:34:29 +0100

On 9 Apr 2012, at 15:03, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> hi everyone,
>=20
> I'm thinking of adding a "make check" step to the non-windows build =
slaves.
>=20
> Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Comments?

Theoretically, it is a great idea. There are a couple of potential =
problems, though.

*) Ideally, make check would do a complete test of all of the =
functionality in OpenAFS. Obviously we are a very long way away from =
that, but each test that we add will slow down the "make check" process. =
I have worked on large projects where the test suite takes much, much =
longer to execute than the build process, so this is a consideration for =
our slower builders.

*) I'm not sure that all of our tests fail cleanly. There may be some =
tests that fail by hanging, or some failure modes that leave daemons =
running. Dealing with these will add to the administration overhead of =
the build farm.

I think I'd prefer, at the moment, that we had a single builder doing a =
make check, rather than having every builder execute them.

Cheers,

Simon.