[OpenAFS-devel] adding "make check" to build slaves

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:37:15 -0400

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Simon Wilkinson
<simonxwilkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2012, at 15:03, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>
>> hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm thinking of adding a "make check" step to the non-windows build slav=
es.

>> Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Comments?
>

> Theoretically, it is a great idea. There are a couple of potential proble=
ms, though.

> *) Ideally, make check would do a complete test of all of the functionali=
ty in OpenAFS. Obviously we are a very long way away from that, but each te=
st that we add will slow down the "make check" process. I have worked on la=
rge projects where the test suite takes much, much longer to execute than t=
he build process, so this is a consideration for our slower builders.

> *) I'm not sure that all of our tests fail cleanly. There may be some tes=
ts that fail by hanging, or some failure modes that leave daemons running. =
Dealing with these will add to the administration overhead of the build far=
m.

> I think I'd prefer, at the moment, that we had a single builder doing a m=
ake check, rather than having every builder execute them.

> Cheers,

Another option is to have multiple 'check' targets, eg., 'make
check:build' suitable for buildbots, 'make check:comprehensive' for a
more comprehensive, but slower, test suite.

Steven