[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 23:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>> At the moment, the debian-i386 and freebsd82-amd64 builders are
>> running "make check" with warnings instead of failing.
>
> What good is it going to do if no one knows to look?
> Or if they always fail and therefore no one pays attention.
> Until there is a stable set of tests that are known to consistently
> succeed and which will not deadlock the build slaves if they fail
> in just the right way?
>
>> We already have multiple pools of builders, which aren't mutually
>> exclusive. We have two main pools: the gerrit-triggered pool
>> (debian-i386, freebsd82-amd64,opensuse-x86_64, win2008 builders), and
>> the scheduled builders (the rest). Some branches only build on certain
>> builders.
>
> The only builders that get regular attention are the ones that break
> the verification of patchsets in gerrit.   All of the others are
> ignored.  To fix that
> part, failing builders that are not gerrit triggered should send an
> e-mail.

I agree; I am basically never going to spontaneously think "I should go
check on the build slaves to see if there are new warnings", but I will
pay attention if I get an email.

> Perhaps to openafs-devel.

FreeBSD's automated build infrastructure ("tinderbox") sends mail to
current@freebsd.org, the list which users and developers are encouraged to
subscribe to to track things happening on the development trunk; it seems
to work pretty well.  I would be okay with getting daily buildslave error
output at openafs-devel, personally.  (Getting non-error output is
probbaly excessive.)

-Ben