[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:45:30 -0400

--------------enig99729CAFB31DF0EF7D636EC8

On 4/10/2012 1:26 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:17:14 -0400, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-en=
dpoints.com> said:
>=20
>> Its quite simple really.  You ask each of the builder owners to run ma=
ke
>> check on their system before you turn it on.   We know that "make chec=
k"
>> does not work across the board.  It never has.  That is why it wasn't
>> turned on previously.
>=20
> It's not quite so simple, really.  Currently, "make check" does a lot
> of building in the process of testing things, and these test harnesses
> really should be built and tested the same way as other parts of the
> code base are built and tested -- otherwise the code will just rot, as
> it clearly has already.

I don't see how requiring that builder owners demonstrate that "make
check" works on their system prior to adding "make check" to that system
in the buildbot is contrary to testing the test harnesses.

When we are processing 50+ patchsets a day through buildbot, why should
we break everything that is unrelated to the test harnesses while
waiting to determine that the test harnesses can in fact complete
successfully?

I will also note that there are other aspects of the OpenAFS build
process that are not tested by buildbot:

1. documentation

2. installer packaging

They are not turned on because doing so significantly increases the
build times for each patchset.   The rate of change of documentation at
this point is also so low that it is more efficient to test each
patchset manually.

Jeffrey Altman