[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:21:53 -0500

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:08:34 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> What I said in reply to the "add as a non-failing step" proposal is
> that nobody is going to look for a failing step if it doesn't break
> the verification process.  As such, doing so is pointless.  If "make
> check" is going to be added, it must be add so that it fails the
> verification if it doesn't complete successfully.

...and I responded with that it makes it much easier to see when the
'make check' tests no longer fail for a platform, so we know when we can
change it into a "failing step" (or "required to verify" step, or
whatever). Instead of asking someone to manually run the tests, I can
submit a change and look at the buildbot output to see if it worked. I
have not yet heard any downside for doing that.

> > Asking people to manually run the tests doesn't scale well, if there
> > are a bunch of things to fix and we keep asking them to try new
> > patches.
>
> That is not what I said.  To repeat it:
>
>  Before "make check" is turned on for any builder, that builder's
>  owner must perform "make check" manually to ensure that "make check"
>  succeeds.
>
> This process doesn't have to scale.  It is done at most once per
> active branch.  Its no different than what I hope is done before a new
> builder is added to the requirements list.  Adding a builder that
> doesn't build successfully because of a broken build environment has
> exactly the same impact.

You have made no guarantee that this is done at most once per branch:

Say someone runs a builder, and 'make check' doesn't work for it because
of issues in the tree (not in the build environment). The person running
the builder isn't a developer. Now a developer has to send them proposed
changes for them to run manually until it works. The person is now a
human buildbot.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net