[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:37:14 -0400

--------------enig89F463B3DC47C0D70161123F

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:21:53 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:08:34 -0400
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> What I said in reply to the "add as a non-failing step" proposal is
>> that nobody is going to look for a failing step if it doesn't break
>> the verification process.  As such, doing so is pointless.  If "make
>> check" is going to be added, it must be add so that it fails the
>> verification if it doesn't complete successfully.
>
> ...and I responded with that it makes it much easier to see when the
> 'make check' tests no longer fail for a platform, so we know when we ca=
> change it into a "failing step" (or "required to verify" step, or
> whatever). Instead of asking someone to manually run the tests, I can
> submit a change and look at the buildbot output to see if it worked. I
> have not yet heard any downside for doing that.

As an intermediary step this is fine.  This is not acceptable for long
term use.

>>> Asking people to manually run the tests doesn't scale well, if there
>>> are a bunch of things to fix and we keep asking them to try new
>>> patches.
>>
>> That is not what I said.  To repeat it:
>>
>>  Before "make check" is turned on for any builder, that builder's
>>  owner must perform "make check" manually to ensure that "make check"
>>  succeeds.
>>
>> This process doesn't have to scale.  It is done at most once per
>> active branch.  Its no different than what I hope is done before a new=

>> builder is added to the requirements list.  Adding a builder that
>> doesn't build successfully because of a broken build environment has
>> exactly the same impact.
>
> You have made no guarantee that this is done at most once per branch:
>
> Say someone runs a builder, and 'make check' doesn't work for it becaus=
> of issues in the tree (not in the build environment). The person runnin=
> the builder isn't a developer. Now a developer has to send them propose=
> changes for them to run manually until it works. The person is now a
> human buildbot.

The tradeoff of your approach is that not only does the failing builder
have to build each test submission but every builder does until the
developer gets it right.   I would prefer that the builder owner and the
developer work together out of band.

Jeffrey Altman