[OpenAFS-devel] Re: adding "make check" to build slaves

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:52:05 -0500

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:37:14 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> > ...and I responded with that it makes it much easier to see when the
> > 'make check' tests no longer fail for a platform, so we know when we
> > can change it into a "failing step" (or "required to verify" step,
> > or whatever). Instead of asking someone to manually run the tests, I
> > can submit a change and look at the buildbot output to see if it
> > worked. I have not yet heard any downside for doing that.
>
> As an intermediary step this is fine.  This is not acceptable for long
> term use.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear on that. I just meant doing that until 'make
check' works on the platform in question. I intended this as something
temporary until 'make check' becomes more robust/official, or for a
temporary period if we add a new builder platform, and 'make check'
doesn't work right away.

> The tradeoff of your approach is that not only does the failing
> builder have to build each test submission but every builder does
> until the developer gets it right.   I would prefer that the builder
> owner and the developer work together out of band.

Yeah, that is an issue, but it's not really a new one. I think that
falls under the general issue that submitting any kind of
platform-specific issue causes all of the builders to build again.

But sure, this does make that problem worse. I think it's not so bad
because it's for a rather short period of time in theory, but that's
obviously just my opinion. If that is the reason for not wanting to do
this, then I will not push further on it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net