[OpenAFS-devel] Gerrit reviews and the rate of acceptance

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:59:52 +0000

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:09, Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

This:

> The rule for patchset submission is that its size should be small enough
> that a skilled reviewer with strong familiarity of the code should be
> able to perform a thorough review in under an hour.

and this:

> Those two entities are responsible for over 85% of the contributions in
> the last 12 months. =A0This is of course the crux of the problem with
> OpenAFS. =A0There simply isn't a pool of independent developers to pull f=
rom.

Is really the conflict.  There are (by your references) around a dozen
people who actively contribute, and are therefore most likely to be
capable of being a skilled reviewer of the code base.  Code base
memory atrophies.  Use it, or lose it.

>From my POV, I accept that reviews are going to take time
(along with the fact that most of the future work is hard/big),
and live with the implications of that reality.  I appreciate all
the work that does make it through the process.  If I were
to ask for more, I also would expect to be asked to send
resources for that.

Gary