[OpenAFS-devel] Custom version string?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:20:05 -0400

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> I want to set a custom version string like:
>
> $ rxdebug a11c31n12.pdc.kth.se 7001 -v
> Trying 193.11.170.136 (port 7001):
> AFS version: =A0OpenAFS 1.6.1-pdc70 built =A02012-04-23
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ^^^^^^
>
> When compiling 1.6.1, the string 1.6.1 seems to be set at many places
> like configure

configure.ac sets it (as opposed to the number used for e.g. MacOS
kexts, which needs to be special)
in exactly one place, from the script you replace below.

so if you can regenerate configure, do it as now.

otherwise, you get to override:
VERSION
DEB_PKGVER
LINUX_PKGVER
(there are also 2 PACKAGE_ variables which include it; at this time,
nothing uses them)

tho only VERSION is used unless you are emitting debs or rpms.
mind you, you can override it other ways, but not at configure time.
you can sed configure beforehand,
sed the results after, sed the config.status and rerun it, or override
it with gmake's -e flag via the environment.

but there's no direct way to override it via configure, and really, if
your source is different, i don't see that the burden of
rerunning autoconf in addition to patching is all that high.