[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Gerrit and 'committer' vs 'author'

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:50:13 -0600

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 23:36:20 -0600
Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

> I sometimes work from several machines, and I would find it handy to
> be able to have the 'committer' field in my changesets reflect the
> machine I did the commit on, but since my laptop, for instances,
> doesn't generally receive mail, I can't easily add
> 'hozer@six.hozed.org' to Gerrit as another email address..

Yeah, that's kinda annoying. It might be possible to get an
administrator to just add that address for you without requiring the
email stuff, but I wouldn't know. You could also always add an MX record
for 'six', though, if you wanted :)

> hozer@six:~/src/openafs-fuse-git$ git log --committer=hozer@six.hozed.org
> commit ebcc7944cc8bd6c7a2e251609b4c006dc3e44823
> Author: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org>
> Date:   Sun Feb 26 22:56:06 2012 -0600
>
>     Add some basic tests to check out fuse
>
>     Change-Id: I8ca05ac4eb9b56a6ffab03bf83ea342134cac79f
>

> Is there any other option besides 'rewrite or redo the changeset'
> (which I'm waiting for the rewrite to finish), or 'no do not do that'?

I'm not clear; you want to just change the committer to be
hozer@hozed.org? I thought the committer gets updated to your current
settings if you just 'git commit --amend' (only works if the commit you
want to change is the most recent one on the branch), or change the
commit in any way.

Do you know how to use 'git rebase'? If you 'git rebase -i HEAD^^^^^',
you can 'edit' the previous few commits (five, in that example). If you
choose the 'reword' option for a commit, you can edit its commit
message. If you change anything about it, it should re-commit and update
the "committer" field again, I think. (You may have to actually change
something in the commit message, but you could just change it back later
if you don't want anything different)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net