[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:28:31 -0600

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:26:32 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> It occurred to me last night why the callback is not broken on the
> last unlink .  Because it is a wasted message.  Breaking the callback
> does not guarantee that the object will in fact be deleted on the
> client in a timely manner because unlike with XCB there is no context
> to say that it has in fact been deleted.

? It's "deleted on the client" as much as any callback break does; all
of the cached information for that file would be discarded.

It's not a waste, since the file has changed; the nlink count has gone
to 0 and the contents are gone.

> When the callback is received or it expires does not trigger a polling
> to the server.  Therefore there is no guarantee of constant behavior
> in any case.

Yes, and as far as I can tell nobody mentioned anything like a polling
behavior. If you don't do anything with the file for 2 hours but keep it
open, it could still go away, but it's a lot more likely to work than
the current situation.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net