[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Matt W. Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:35:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

inline

----- "Andrew Deason" <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> Yes, and as far as I can tell nobody mentioned anything like a
> polling
> behavior. If you don't do anything with the file for 2 hours but keep
> it
> open, it could still go away, but it's a lot more likely to work than
> the current situation.

Right, and although as you (Jeff) mention, while XCB (actually, as described, would be a forechannel extension of XCB, XCB allows a server to extend a registration, but doesn't provide guidance for the server, as presently written, we should perhaps do both) can provide a more satisfactory model, there was general acceptance of the idea that viced could expire callbacks later, by administrator preference.  A patch to do it was stalled because Simon requested a better mechanism to specify timeouts, but not in principle.

> --
> Andrew Deason
> adeason@sinenomine.net

Matt