[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:43:22 -0500

--------------enig4D7A211433E5D5634DC1FFE4

On 2/28/2012 11:28 AM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:26:32 -0500
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:
>=20
>> It occurred to me last night why the callback is not broken on the
>> last unlink .  Because it is a wasted message.  Breaking the callback
>> does not guarantee that the object will in fact be deleted on the
>> client in a timely manner because unlike with XCB there is no context
>> to say that it has in fact been deleted.
>=20
> ? It's "deleted on the client" as much as any callback break does; all
> of the cached information for that file would be discarded.
>=20
> It's not a waste, since the file has changed; the nlink count has gone
> to 0 and the contents are gone.

The callback does not result in the client having this information.  The
client only obtains this information when the client returns to the file
server to request it.

>> When the callback is received or it expires does not trigger a polling=

>> to the server.  Therefore there is no guarantee of constant behavior
>> in any case.
>=20
> Yes, and as far as I can tell nobody mentioned anything like a polling
> behavior. If you don't do anything with the file for 2 hours but keep i=
> open, it could still go away, but it's a lot more likely to work than
> the current situation.

yesterday in the exchanges between Troy and Simon.