[OpenAFS-devel] IPv6 Status

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:11:28 +0000

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 18:30, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:
> How about this...
>
> Nothing goes into 'master' unless it's supporting IPv6 ...

We cannot even get Cisco/Juniper/HP/etc. to
do that consistently with their network gear
(regardless of their claims to "support IPv6").
And they have lots of people and money to
throw at the problem.  [Note that this is not
about moving bits, but about control plane
and feature equivalency in IPv4 and IPv6.]

No one will dispute that IPv6 needs to be
on the OpenAFS roadmap.  But it is (to the
best of my knowledge) still a part of the
road that is unfunded, and a part of the road
that is likely to require quite a bit of infrastructure
improvements behinds the scenes before
the concrete is poured and one gets to
cut the ribbon and someone is allowed to
drive upon it.  You cannot stop
improvements/repairs to the rest of
the existing road because you cannot
finish that new and shiny and wider