[OpenAFS-devel] IPv6 Status

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:27:38 +0000

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 14:54, chas williams - CONTRACTOR
<chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> while possibly not a huge concern for the afs community, the US
> government is requiring ipv6 capability on future and current services.
>
> from http://www.cio.gov/documents/IPv6memofinal.pdf,

The important words there are "public services", and
provides an "option" that one will find many agencies
are likely to examine carefully.  Few (if any) agencies
use AFS to provide public data today.  A very few
services need to be IPv6 compliant in 2012 (maybe
run a web proxy or two on EC2) and I expect there
is currently a bunch of "beltway bandits" offering such
services for the web, mail, and dns services for
agencies (and if you outsource your email to google,
you are already done for that, and if you outsource your
web site to Akamai they are supposed to have
production IPv6 RSN (there were rumors last year
they had it "in test" but had not yet made it widely
available; it may be production by now, I do not know),
DNS is probably already outsourced since few wanted
to handle DNSSEC key mgmt and HSM requirements).
So, many agencies can deal with 2012.